Dear colleagues and members of the Korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
- It is a privilege and an honor to embark as President of the Korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (KAAP), to begin work on behalf of its 1,000 members for the next two years, and to assume the great responsibilities and duties which it carries.
- Founded in 1996, the KAAP has reached its 21st anniversary. In the course of these years, it has grown to have more than 300 regular lifelong members, 800 on-line members, and 300 attendees at each academic conference. Internationally, the KAAP launched the APSAAR in 2009 and the 20th ISAM in 2018. The KAAP continues to develop as an academic, international organization of world standing through the efforts of all KAAP members. In Korea, the KAAP plays a central role in upholding the values shared by all professionals and experts in the fields of addiction and in collaboration with different associations related to addiction issues. The KAAP strives to maintain and enhance communication and harmony among various roles and areas, and will continue to devote itself to the prevention and management of addictions and to promote improved understanding of the multidimensional aspects of addiction problems. Furthermore, the KAAP will pursue academic integration and excellence according to its mission and its vision of society. To achieve these, researchers will make use of opportunities to actively engage in collaborative, basic clinical research meetings and promote and reveal their research results to the KAAP.
- In addition to problems concerning alcohol use, the KAAP is newly aware of the importance of behavioral addictions, such as gambling, gaming and sexual addictions, all of which have been attracting increasing social interest and concern. The KAAP formerly released the ‘Addiction treatment guidelines series for alcohol use disorders and gambling disorders’ in 2011. Similarly, the Korean Journal of Addiction Psychiatry is published twice a year to disseminate current findings about substance abuse and behavioral addictions.
- The problem of addiction should never be solved in a limited way, as it requires a comprehensive and balanced approach. I believe that our members—as experts in biological, psychological and social understanding of the problem of addiction—can effectively deal with the serious problems of addiction, which are becoming increasingly damaging both to individuals and to society at large. As a countermeasure to the problem of addiction, it is also necessary to participate in social approaches, such as education, public relations, and prevention and policy development, in order to play a faithful social role as a member. Thus, in addition to research and clinical care, the KAAP has taken a heavy responsibility, and must continued to do so. By these means, the KAAP will enhance society's status through policy-making and will continue to prepare social issues and agenda related to addiction, so as to inform the community and improve the problem of addiction in Korea.
- I am confident that if we have the support and warm hands among KAAP members, the KAAP could achieve the greater development of the addiction fields in the near future.
- The Board of Directors shall be horizontal, autonomous and transparent, in planning, conducting and deciding upon various projects and activities. The academic research section will be divided into the planning committee and administration committee, a division designed to increase efficiency and to enable various opinions and decisions to be made. Each committee will be able to reassess and coordinate its decisions independently. To do this, we will create a regular board meeting, a special meeting on important issues and a frequent ONLINE meeting, so that we can make all the decisions of the society reasonably and expeditiously.
- The most important thing that I can say today is that I will do my best to ensure the further development of KAAP as a large, strong, and responsible association. Please, respond with warmth and also share with me any words of advice you may have whenever you want. I will give any comments careful consideration and will respond to them.
- I will conclude my inaugural address by expressing my deep gratitude toward members who always attempt to contribute to the development of the KAAP. I wish all KAAP members happiness and well-being always.
- Thank you.
- Sang Kyu Lee, M.D., Ph.D.
- The president of
- the KAAP