Dear colleagues and members of the Korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
- It gives me a privilege and an honor to be working for the President of the Korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (KAAP) on behalf of its 1,000 members for the next two years with great responsibility and duty.
- The KAAP founded in 1996 and has reached its 21 anniversary. During these times, it has grown to have more than 300 regular lifelong members, 800 on-line members, and 300 attendees in each academic conference. Internationally, the KAAP launched the APSAAR in 2009 and the 20th ISAM in 2018. The KAAP is continuing to develop as an academic and international organization in the world by all KAAP members efforts. In Korea, the KAAP plays a central role in upholding the values shared by all the professionals and experts of addiction fields and in collaborations among different associations related with addictions. The KAAP has been tried to keep communicating and harmonizing various roles and areas and will continue to devote itself to the prevention, management for addictions and understanding of multidimensional aspects of addiction problems. Furthermore, the KAAP will pursue academic integration and excellence according to the mission and vision of the society. To do those, the researchers will have chances to actively engaged in collaborative clinical basic research meetings and to promote and reveal their study results in the KAAP.
- In addition to the alcohol use problems, the KAAP is newly aware of the importance of the behavioral addiction, such as gambling, gaming and sexual addictions which have been increasing the social interests and concerns. The KAAP had released the ‘Addiction treatment guidelines series for alcohol use disorders and gambling disorders’ in 2011. The Korean journal of addiction psychiatry has published twice a year about substance and behavioral addictions.
- The problem of addiction never be solved in limited way and requires a comprehensive and balanced approach. I believe that our members, experts in biological, psychological and social understanding of the problem of addiction, can effectively deal with the serious problems of addiction, which are becoming increasingly damaging personally and socially. As a countermeasure of the addiction problem, it is also necessary to take part in social approaches such as education, public relations, prevention and policy development to play a faithful social role as a member. In addition to research and clinical care, the KAAP has taken a heavy responsibility, and has continued to do so. The KAAP will enhance the society's status through policy-making and will continue to prepare social issues and agenda related to addiction to inform and improve the problem of addiction in Korea.
- I am confident that if we have the support and warm hands among the KAAP members, the KAAP could achieve the greater development of the addiction fields in the near future.
- The Board of Directors shall be horizontal, autonomous and transparent to plan, carry out and decide on these various projects and activities. The academic research section will be divided into the planning committee and administration committee which will increase efficiency and enable various opinions and decisions to be made. The each committee will be able to reassess and coordinate their decisions by themselves. To do this, we will create a regular board meeting, a special meeting on important issues and a frequent meeting of ONLINE so that we can make all the decisions of the society reasonable and expeditiously.
- The most important thing I can say today is, "I will do my best for developing KAAP strong, big, and responsible." Please watch with warmth and also give me any talks and advice whenever you want. I'll take any words carefully and response them.
- I will conclude my inaugural address to express my deep gratitude for members who always try to contribute to the development of the KAAP. I wish all KAAP members happiness and well-being always.
- Thank you.